Dairy Go 'Round
Where is Morning Fresh Dairy Farm?
- We are your neighbors! Our dairy has been located in the small town of Bellvue, Colorado for over 100 years. Our farm is nestled in Pleasant Valley, a narrow valley located between Rist Canyon and Poudre Canyon, just northwest of Fort Collins. Our family farm is surrounded by foothills and borders the Poudre River.
Are you an organic farm?
- No, we are an all natural farm.
What is the difference between organic and all natural?
- Fort Collins’ climate is classified as a semi-arid. In Fort Collins, and overall in Colorado, the seasons and lack of rain cannot support the pasture requirements for an organic dairy. Our cows are out to pasture as much as possible but not the full 120 days required for an organic dairy. We built the cows’ new barn in 2015 with dropping side panels, sand bedding, fans and heat plates so we can keep the cows comfortable in any weather condition.
- Drinking milk from Morning Fresh Dairy minimizes food miles. We grow our crops, feed our cows, and bottle our milk all in one location. This means that you are minimizing the miles driven and energy used to produce your milk. We don’t use any preservatives because we are able to get our milk from moo to you in 24 hours or less.
- While we do not use 100% organic feed for our cows, we do raise many of the crops used to feed our cows on our fields at the dairy.
- Organic standards do not allow for the use of antibiotics. At Morning Fresh Dairy we do not give our cows any preventative antibiotics, but we do use antibiotics if a cow is sick. We do not believe in destroying a sick animal that could be effectively treated with antibiotics. However, any animal being treated with antibiotics is pulled from production during treatment and placed into our hospital barn. Their milk is not consumed during treatment.
- We’re very proud that our milk is all natural- free of preservatives, hormones, and anything artificial.
What makes Morning Fresh Dairy BETTER?
- Your milk is guaranteed fresh, all natural, and free of preservatives from our herd only. We never outsource, so you know exactly where your milk is coming from.
- As opposed to delivering in the middle of the night, we choose to deliver in the afternoon and evenings. We believe this is more convenient for you. We don’t want our milkmen startling anybody, waking you, the kids, or dogs in the middle of the night. We’re all about freshness and we have found that many of our customers are home during the day, allowing them to bring in their milk faster to the refrigerator.
- We strive to be sustainable, efficient, and are always trying to improve our carbon footprint. We bottle our milk in glass bottles, which are reused up to 30+ times each. This is a much more sustainable option than using single-use plastic. We’ve implemented many eco-friendly practices and programs and strive to care for our cows, environment, and community the best we can.
How long does Morning Fresh Dairy milk last? / Why does Morning Fresh Dairy milk not last as long?
- About ten days from the bottling date. Our milk does not last as long as grocery store milk because we flash-pasteurize instead of ultra-pasteurize, giving us milk that has a lot of natural benefits and good bugs for your gut health. It’s also great milk for cheese and yoghurt making.
Where does Morning Fresh deliver?
- Many happy families receive Morning Fresh Dairy milk and local products in and around Fort Collins, Loveland, Greeley, Bellvue, Laporte, Wellington, Windsor, Timnath, Ault, Severance, Eaton, Johnstown, Millikin, and Berthoud.
Who owns Morning Fresh Dairy Farm?
- The Graves Family have owned and operated the business since 1894. First named “Graves Dairy,” Rob and Lori renamed the delivery service to “Morning Fresh Dairy” to represent exactly how fresh our milk is – moo to you in 24 hours!
How many Home Delivery customers do we have currently?
- Around 7K happy and healthy customers, not including our wholesale customers from Wellington into Denver (cafes, restaurants, and stores)
How many employees does Morning Fresh Dairy have? Delivery Drivers?
- About 50-75 employees, including about 14 retail drivers and about 8 wholesale drivers.
Is the Howling Cow Café a part of Morning Fresh Dairy?
- Yes and no. They do go hand in hand and are owned and operated by the same family with help from locals. They are considered separate businesses. The reason for the café opening was to be a ‘storefront’ for Morning Fresh Dairy Home Delivery. The idea to have light fare and coffee came later and now they are a full business on their own and doing very well as a café/store.
How many employees does Howling Cow Café have?
- About 8-15 baristas depending on the Summer and Winter seasons. Brooke is the current cafe manager, and Lori Graves (Owner) started the café and helps operate the backside of the business (marketing, payroll, HR, etc.)
What are Morning Fresh Dairy’s slogans?
- Moo to you in 24 Hours!
- Get the Farmer’s Market delivered to your doorstep!
- All-Natural; Taste Delicious!
Can I get Morning Fresh Dairy milk in stores?
- Yes! Find our milk at Sprouts and Wholefoods from here to Denver. Many other local stores also sell our milk and/or flavored milk including- Heritage Market, Food Co-op, Lucky’s Market, Alfalfa Market, Lulu’s Farm, Tony’s Markets, Wheatridge Poultry and Meats, Farmhouse Market, and more!
- Find a retail location near you!
Do restaurants use Morning Fresh Dairy milk?
- Well, yes! Various coffee shops and restaurants have been using our milk for years. Often, people drink our milk without even knowing where it comes from.
- Coffee shops from Human Bean locations in Northern Colorado to Box Car in Denver use our milk. Others include- Little Bird Bakeshop, Gib’s Bagels, Crema Coffee House, Cuppy’s Coffee, Dazbog locations, and many more.
- Restaurants such as Charco Broiler, Canino’s Italian, Ginger and Baker, Buff Restaurant, CooperSmith’s, Egg-N-More, The Kitchen, Lucky Joes, etc. use our milk as well.
What is Caps4Cash?
- Caps4Cash is a Morning Fresh Dairy program where schools can earn cash by collecting caps from Morning Fresh Dairy glass bottles. Each cap can be redeemed for 5¢ and spent any way the school would like!
- How to take part in the Caps4Cash Program:
- Drink your milk
- Save your bottle caps
- Collect caps from family and friends
- Bring the caps to school
- Drop them in a collection box if available; the school may have a Caps4Cash coordinator who will redeem the caps as needed
- Home Delivery customers can easily save their own caps, count, and redeem them through Home Delivery. They can choose a school and submit the cap redemption online at the link below for proper tracking.
- Learn more about Caps4Cash here!
- How to take part in the Caps4Cash Program:
What is Be The Match?
All started here at the dairy with a story of the love for a child:
- When their 10-year-old daughter Laura was diagnosed with Leukemia, Robert Graves (D.V.M.), and his wife Sherry were ready to do anything they could to save her. Desperate to save her life, they turned to alternative treatment options. They agreed to try the first ever bone marrow transplant for a Leukemia patient from an unrelated donor.
- Laura received her transplant in 1979, and it worked. The success of the treatment inspired the Graves to give other families the same hope for a cure. Thanks to Dr. Graves, families, doctors, congressional support and funding from the U.S. Navy all contributed to the establishment of a national registry of volunteers willing to donate bone marrow.
Our first 10,000 blood donors step forward
- Many people wondered who would step forward to donate marrow. Within the first year the National Bone Marrow Donor Registry (as it was called then) was established, an astonishing 10,000 people answered the call. We conducted our first transplant as the National Marrow Donor Program® in 1987 when Diane Walters of Wisconsin donated marrow to 6-year-old Brooke Ward of North Carolina. It wasn’t long before the program took off worldwide from a tiny office at the American Red Cross in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Does Morning Fresh Dairy run events?
- Yes, as long as the county allows us to. We run annual events including our Easter Egg-Stravaganza, Moo-nster Match, and Very Dairy Christmas Events.
- We also host/attend small events, festivals, farmers markets, birthday parties, wholesale partnership events, etc.
Do Morning Fresh Dairy host events?
- Yes! Our private room and outdoor patio can be reserved for birthdays, gatherings, meetings, and private parties. See our Tours & Events page for more information.