Hoppy April! We hope you are soaking in the coming of Spring and enjoying all that April has to bring! 🐄
🌽 We planted triticale grain and tubular radishes in our corn fields last September immediately after we harvested the corn for silage. This regenerative agriculture practice helps us maintain a diverse crop rotation here at the farm so we can ensure our soil is healthy and the field is protected over the winter months.We will be planting corn for silage next month for our dairy herd which is a key part to making sure we at Morning Fresh Dairy Farm are doing everything to maintain best practices for our cow’s health, our agricultural community, and our environment.
It’s Eggnog Time
Our seasonal spotlight for April this year is… Easter Eggnog! Eggnog isn’t just the best beverage to drink around the holidays, it is the ideal sweet treat for springtime. Rich, creamy, and festive, share this delectable beverage with family, use it in baking, or drink it straight from the bottle (you know you’ll want to). Available only through Home Delivery or at The Howling Cow Café!
Creamy Carrot Soup
Get ready for Spring with this light and fresh carrot soup! Serve chilled for 4 people!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 heaping tbs minced fresh ginger
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Morning Fresh heavy cream, divided
- Curry powder (to taste)
- Step 1
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and carrots to pan; cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in salt, pepper, and ginger. Add curry powder to taste- also great with things like turmeric and nutmeg!
- Step 2
- Add 2 cups water and broth to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until carrots are tender. Remove from heat; cool.
- Step 3
- Place half of carrot mixture and 1 tablespoon cream in a food processor or blender; process 20 seconds or until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining carrot mixture and 1 tablespoon cream. Return mixture to pan; cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated.
- Step 4
- Serve hot or chilled- top with things like cilantro or pepper for a fun kick!
From your Morning Fresh Family, we appreciate your love and support. Wishing you a healthy and happy April filled with sunshine, bunnies, and milk!