Wake up your taste buds to fall flavor. This soup is a blend of creamy, rich pumpkin, flavors of vanilla and sage, and dairy-licious milk and yoghurt.
- ½ vanilla bean
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ white onion, finely diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 ½ cups Morning Fresh Dairy lactose-free 2% milk, or your choice of milk
- Salt and pepper
- Greek Gods Plain Greek yoghurt
For the soup:
- Step 1
- Halve the vanilla bean lengthwise, scrape the seeds and then add both the seeds and the pod to the soup. Melt the butter in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Cook until it starts to brown; add the onion and vanilla bean. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Step 2
- Add the canned pumpkin, sage and milk. Whisk together and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Step 3
- Remove the vanilla bean pod and let soup cool.* Blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Return to medium heat, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 4
- Ladle into bowls; garnish with a dollop of tangy Greek yogurt and a sprinkling of Chipotle-Roasted Sunflower Seeds.
- *Tips & Tricks:
- Wait for soup to cool so the heat does not make the soup explode during blending.
- The thickness of this soup is determined by the amount of milk you add to the recipe, so add more milk if desired. To serve it as more of a pureed pumpkin side dish, add less milk.
- If you do not have an immersion blender, puree the soup in an upright blender.
For the sunflower seeds:
- Step 1
- In a sauté pan, combine the sunflower seeds, olive oil and chipotle powder; bring to medium-high heat.
- Step 2
- Toss together to coat all of the sunflower seeds with oil and chipotle powder and cook for 2 minutes, or until they are golden brown and toasted.
- Tips & Tricks:
- These are the perfect nutty, smoky, addition to salad, soups, or everyday snacking.
- For flavor without heat, substitute chili powder for the chipotle powder.