Make your holiday meal just a little bit easier with this simple alternative to fluffy, buttery mashed potatoes. Place cut potatoes at the bottom of your slow cooker, add milk and seasonings, cover, and let the magic of slow cooking do the work! There’s nothing better than hot potatoes, butter, and cream cheese all mixed together!
- 32 ounces chicken broth, low-sodium
- 8 ounces cream cheese from Gib’s Bagels
- Morning Fresh Dairy Milk, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 5 pounds russet potato, and/or yukon gold potatoes
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup salted butter, cut into cubes
- Step 1
- Place the cut potatoes into the bottom of a 4.5-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Step 2
- Dot the potatoes with 1 stick of cubed butter.
- Step 3
- Pour chicken broth on top of potatoes.
- Step 4
- Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on high for 4-5 hours. Potatoes are ready when fork tender.
- Step 5
- Carefully drain the excess broth from the cooked potatoes.*
- Step 6
- Run the drained potatoes through a potato ricer and return to the slow cooker.**
- Step 7
- Add in remaining stick of cubed butter, cream cheese and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Stir together until combined. Add more milk if needed until potatoes reach desired consistency.
- Step 8
- Cover the slow cooker and keep potatoes on the warm setting until ready to serve.
* If desired, the cooking broth can be reserved and used for making a flavorful gravy or sauce to accompany the potatoes.
**A potato ricer lends mashed potatoes an ultra-light and fluffy consistency. If desired, a potato masher can be used instead. Simply place drained potatoes in slow cooker and use masher until the desired consistency is reached.